A salad recipe with a potato base accompanied by a lot of delicious ingredients: peas, egg, red pepper, green pepper and onion. Although we can find variations with tomato, olives, tuna or bonito in crumbs, corn, crab sticks, prawns or king prawns, piquillo peppers, gherkins,… Dressed with mustard, balsamic, sherry or even Andalusian-style vinaigrettes. They are very similar to the papas aliñás or seasoned potatoes from the Cádiz area, with their vinaigrette with oil and chopped parsley.
Also as they put it in many bars, salad style with a mountain of mayonnaise . It doesn’t matter how they are presented to us, well accompanied with a very cold beer, they are delicious. Even the version that we have on the blog, this country rice salad , which you will also like.
The country salad is a very simple recipe, one of those that you cook and mix. Although it is an easy recipe, it has some other little secrets to make it delicious. But the most important thing is that the ingredients are of the highest quality since, by not having mayonnaise that hides them. They will notice if the peas are canned or not and if the potato is of quality. Perfect for good weather and enjoying meals to share with family and friends.
- 2kg medium sized new potatoes
- 1 large onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 2 ripe tomatoes but not too soft
- 150 g. fresh or canned stews
- 1 jar of bonito from the north, ventresca or tuna crumbs (200 gr. approx. drained)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 4 eggs L
- For the vinaigrette:
- 150ml of extra virgin olive oil (of which 100 ml. is the one that brings the preserve)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 50 ml sherry vinegar
- One egg yolk (raw or cooked)
Before Starting Potatoes, Eggs and Vegetables
- We will start by cooking the potatoes, peel them and put them in a saucepan with the already boiling water.
- Salt and cook for about 20 minutes over medium-high heat. The time will depend on the type of potato and size. The best way to see if it is well cooked is to prick it with a fork almost at the end of the cooking process, so we can increase or decrease the time depending on the type of potato you are going to use. Remove the potatoes and let them cool.
- We peel the peas, better if they are fresh, so our salad will have much more flavor and we also take advantage of the fact that we are in season. If you prepare this salad in winter, some quality canned peas are worth it, although it will not be the same.
- Put a pan with water and heat until steam comes out. We put the peas in the steam source and leave them 5-8 minutes (depending on the type of pea) at full power. If you do not have this type of utensil at home, you can cook it normally for 5 minutes, remove from the water and reserve.
- Meanwhile we are going to cook the eggs on another fire. We cover them with cold water and cook 10-12 minutes from the boil.
- We should not cook them longer as a dark greenish halo forms around the yolk, which is unpleasant to the eye. Nor should we let the eggs rest in the water in which we have cooked them. We must pour cold water immediately so that they warm up and do not continue cooking. With these indications you have to be perfect.
- Cut an onion, a red pepper, the two large tomatoes (it is important that they have flavor and are ripe, but at the same time that they do not fall apart when cut) and a green pepper into small cubes.
Final Preparation of the Salad
- We put all the ingredients in a large container, because that is where we are going to mix our country salad. Add a good splash of extra virgin olive oil and mix to combine flavours. Add the peas and potatoes previously cut into large cubes.
- I like the salad with a good canned tuna (if possible with extra virgin olive oil). But if you don’t want it to be very expensive, you have much cheaper tuna crumbs in olive oil.
- The jar of bonito from the north that I have used is 200 grams drained, and I add it all because I love it. It is always better to crumble it by hand so as not to find very large pieces. Add to the bowl with the rest of the ingredients.
- We are not going to throw away the oil that comes with the tuna preserve, we are going to use it together with a little more virgin olive oil to later make our vinaigrette. I like the flavor it gives to the salad because it enhances the flavor of the tuna. I love to find the strong and contrasted flavor of the oil that I use in my kitchen, but to your liking.
Preparation of the Vinaigrette and Final Presentation of the Salad
- The vinaigrette sauce is one of the most international and versatile sauces that exist. This tasty sauce has been used for many years to dress and flavor salads. The proportions will depend on the taste of each one, the type of oil, vinegar and ingredients used can change the intensity of the flavor.
- In a glass add a pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the olive oil that we have previously mixed, the Sherry vinegar and the raw egg yolk.
- Stir vigorously until everything is combined. If you don’t dare with the raw egg yolk (it will give the vinaigrette a lot of creaminess), add a cooked egg yolk. It has to be crumbled and we stir it gently until it is well mixed. We booked.
- Once the vinaigrette is made, we must add it at the end of everything. Season to taste and with your hands we put together all the ingredients and the vinaigrette. Remember that the jacket salad must go to the fridge already seasoned and mixed. If we kept it without seasoning, the ingredients would be dry.
- To serve, cut the hard-boiled eggs to taste, in quarters or slices. We put our salad in a bowl and decorate with the egg.
- You can see all the photos of the step-by-step recipe for the jacket salad with potato in this album. Do not miss any detail and it will be perfect for you.
Tips for a Yummy Country Salad
- The best is the salad is with a touch of the fridge and consumed on the same day, prepare it in the morning to eat it at noon or at night.
- If we leave our salad for several days in the fridge, we will make the potato go rancid. If you prepare it the day before, you should take it out about an hour before serving it so that the potato cools down a bit.
- Do not store it in a metal dish or cover it with aluminum foil, they can alter the taste of the potato.
- The recipe calls for a lot of raw oil and too strong an oil you may not like. In that case, use a mild olive oil.
- The best potatoes for this recipe are new potatoes. They should not be too large, better medium, and if possible they should all have a similar size so that they cook evenly and they all have the same texture.
- We leave it in the fridge for an hour and we already have our perfect country salad to eat, one of the most famous dishes of the summer. Do not stop preparing it.